Jailbreaking is a common term used for removing software restrictions on a device. Apple users might already be familiar with the idea. Android users, on the other hand, have Rooting. It gives users advanced control over their devices. However, Rooting is a more involved process that could potentially destroy the device. TV users might haven’t thought of this yet as there is no potential advantage of Rooting a perfectly normal device. However, Jailbreaking can sometimes come in handy for many as the feature lets the user run apps outside the built-in app store. So in this guide, we’ll show you how to Jailbreak your Chromecast device.
There are numerous advantages of Jailbreaking a Chromecast. This includes the ability to install third-party apps that can’t be installed from the Google Play Store. You could also install apps and services that aren’t available in your region. A VPN can be then used to access the contents of the app.
Note: We wouldn’t recommend proceeding with this if you don’t know what you’re doing. Even if you know what you’re doing, we recommend you pay attention to your actions. The first thing you want to avoid is getting scammed.
Jailbreak your Chromecast with Google TV
Jailbreaking a Chromecast device is simple and involves very minimal steps. Follow these given steps to Jailbreak your Chromecast device.
- Enabled Developer options by following these steps.
- Navigate to your profile icon at the top-right corner using the D-pad on the remote.
- Select Settings from the newly opened overlay.
- Scroll down and select System. Click on About on the upcoming page.
- Scroll all the way down to Android TV OS Build and tap on it seven times.
- This will enable Developer options, and you can now press the Home button on the remote to return to the main page.
- Now we need to download and install Downloader from the Google Play Store. If you don’t know how to install a downloader on Android TV then we have written an article you can check out. This way, we’ll be able to sideload third-party apps to the Chromecast device.
- Go to Apps from the home screen and scroll down to App categories.
- Click on Search for apps and type in Downloader using the onscreen keyboard.
- Install Downloader by AFTVnews, and we need to then set up permissions for the app.
- To install third-party apps using Downloader, we first need to enable Unknown Sources for the app.
- Navigate to your profile icon at the top-right corner and select Settings from the newly opened overlay.
- Go to Privacy > Security and restrictions.
- Click on Unknown Sources, and the Downloader will be listed on the screen. Tap on it to turn on Unknown Sources for the app. This way, you can use the app to sideload apps.
You can now open Downloader and give it all the necessary permissions. You’ll now be able to download and install third-party apps from Downloader. All you need is a download link. Simply paste it into the big text box in the app and hit Go. We recommend that you double-check everything before you download anything using Downloader.