Chromecast with Google TV runs Android 10. So, you might be wondering is it possible to run any Android apps on Chromecast with Google TV other than what’s available on Google Play Store. The answer is yes, but it’s not straightforward.
In this guide, we’ll take you through a step-by-step guide explaining how to sideload and run any Android app on Chromecast with Google TV.
As mentioned earlier, there is no default option to sideload APK on Chromecast with Google TV. However, utilizing a third-party app available for both Android phones and Chromecast with Google TV on Google Play Store we can get things done.
Sideload APK on Chromecast with Google TV Using “Send files to TV” app
Perhaps, Google Play Store is no dearth of apps such as “Send files to TV” which you could use to send APKs from your phone to your Chromecast. The “Send files to TV” seems to be an easier alternative as per our testing. So let’s begin.
Install Send files to TV App
First of all, you’ve to install the “Send files to TV” app on both your Android phone and your Chromecast.
“Send files to TV”: Install
Once you successfully install the app on both your phone and Chromecast. Follow the below steps.
- Get the APK file of the app whichever is to be installed on the Chromecast with Google TV and place it anywhere in the internal storage of your Android phone. Note: APKs that are compatible with the Chromecast are mostly made of the armeabi-v7a processor architecture, so better make sure to get that version of the app.
- Now open Send files to the TV app on Chromecast with Google TV and select Receive option.
- Meanwhile, open the Send files to the TV app on your smartphone where you have got the APK stored.
- Select Send option on your Android.
- Find the APK you need to install from the file-picker. Selecting the APK opens a list of available devices, which should include your Chromecast. Before that, make sure both your phone and Chromecast need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Once the transfer is complete, open the APK from Chromecast with Google TV.
- The Chromecast with Google TV should now have the app installed
It’s pertinent to mention here that, in case if the APK fails to install the APK, you may make use of a full-fledged file browser such as File Commander, Solid Explorer, or any other file manager on Chromecast with Google TV to install the transferred APK.