Did you know that you can charge your Chromebook with an HDMI cable? It may happen that on a certain day, the Chromebook gets utilized more. As a result, the battery depletes, and adding to your woe you forgot to bring the charger of the Chromebook. Then using an HDMI cable, you can manage to charge the Chromebook.
In another situation, if the native power adapter for your Chromebook has suddenly malfunctioned, then an HDMI cable will come in handy to keep the Chromebook charged as you use it to complete your task.
Methods to Charge Chromebook with HDMI Cable
There are essentially two ways to charge a Chromebook with an HDMI cable. You can use an HDMI-to-HDMI cable or an HDMI-to-Type C cable.
Must Read | How to Fix Chromebook Not Charging?
Using HDMI-to-HDMI Cable
In this scenario, we will use the power source from the television to charge the Chromebook. You need to ensure that your Chromebook has a HDMI port on it. Also, the television model you are using must support HDMI connectivity.
- Power the TV on.
- Take an HDMI cable and connect one end of it to the HDMI port of the Chromebook.
- Put the other end of the HDMI cable in the HDMI port of the TV.
The above process will require an HDMI-to-HDMI cable which you can purchase from any online store at a very reasonable price.
Using HDMI to Type C Cable
Most of the modern Chromebook now come without an HDMI port. For offering a thinner aesthetic and keeping the Chromebook lightweight, the HDMI ports have been replaced with Type C ports. If you have such a Chromebook with a Type C port and no HDMI port, follow the steps below to charge it using an HDMI cable.
- Get an HDMI to Type C cable. You can get it from online stores.
- Power on the television.
- Connect the HDMI end of the cable to the HDMI port on the TV.
- Insert the Type C end of the cable into the Type C port on the Chromebook.
Now, your Chromebook will start charging.
Related | How to Play the Sims on Chromebook?
Disadvantages of Using an HDMI Cable to Charge
Always keep in mind that charging the Chromebook with an HDMI cable is a temporary solution. It comes with its set of disadvantages.
- The charging process is very slow.
- Regularly using this charging method can result in damage to the electronic circuit of the Chromebook.
- If the voltage is low, you may be unable to charge the Chromebook.
It is okay to use an HDMI cable to charge your Chromebook once or twice when the charge on the device is about to run out and you do not have the stock charger for the Chromebook. In the long run, it may not be beneficial for the Chromebook and may affect its circuitry. I hope this guide was useful.