If casting would have been a tedious process, then the products such as Fire TV Stick, Roku won’t be as popular as it’s now. Let’s see how convenient is it to cast a phone or PC with Firestick TV. Let’s dive in quickly.
Steps Cast Android Phone/Tablet to Fire TV Stick
Casting from an Android Phone/Tablet to an Amazon Fire TV Stick is much easier and convenient than any other platform. But there is one important thing to consider, even though the method remains the same in all Android devices each brand names this feature differently. So we’ll discuss in detail how it is done in stock Android and on OneUI.
Setup in Fire TV Stick
- Press and hold the Home button in the Amazon Fire TV Stick to bring up a menu that displays the options Apps, Sleep, Mirroring, and Settings.
- Select Mirroring. Note that in Amazon Fire TV Stick Mirroring means Casting.
- A window will be opened. The name of the device will be displayed so that the user can recognize it when searching.
Must See: Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Roku
Setup in Android Smartphone
- Go to the Settings app.
- Search for Cast. In case if the user is unable to find the cast, go to Bluetooth and device connection option or take a deep dig at the settings app.
- This will turn on WiFi and Bluetooth in the Android device. Give it a moment and it will display available devices to which the user can Cast.
- Select the Amazon Fire TV Stick from the list of available devices.
- Wait for some moment. The Android device will start casting to the Fire TV Stick.
- Open the Notification Panel. Scroll down once again for the Quick Settings panel.
- Search for Smart View. In case if the user is unable to find the Smart View icon they can find it by clicking the Edit button next to the Settings button.
- This will turn on WiFi and Bluetooth in the Android device. Give it a moment and it will display available devices to which the user can cast (Phone > Other devices).
- Select the Amazon Fire TV Stick from the list of available devices (Phone > Other devices).
- Wait for some moment. The Samsung will Cast to the Fire TV Stick.
Note that Smart View is the name given for Casting in Samsung devices. In the case of OxygenOS or literally any stock or AOSP based ROMs it’ll be simply Cast. The name will vary from brand to brand and UI’s though. But the procedure remains the same irrespective of brand.
Steps to Cast PC/Laptop screen to FireTV Stick
Casting from a PC is also much easier compared to an iPhone/iPads. Windows 10 is the preferred OS as it does not require any third-party apps to establish the task. One thing to note is that the user should ensure that the PC has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth access in order for Casting to work.
Setup in Fire TV Stick
The setup is the same as mentioned above.
- Press and hold the Home button in the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Select Mirroring and note down the name of the Fire TV Stick.
Setup in Windows 10
- Open Windows Action Center either by pressing Windows Key + A or click on the small square button at the bottom right corner of the Taskbar.
- Click on Connect. In case if Connect is not there in the list click on expand to show the complete list of available options.
- Choose the Fire TV Stick from the Action Center.
- Wait for some time for the connection to be established.
- The user will be able to Cast their Windows PC/Laptop to the Fire TV Stick.
Note that Connect is the name given by Microsoft to the Casting feature in Windows 10.
How to Cast iPhone/iPad to Firestick
iPhone and iPad don’t natively support Casting to a Fire TV Stick. The user should use third-party apps to achieve this.
- As an example, we’ll use the app “Video & TV Cast for iOS”. You may use any other apps you find suitable or better.
- The user needs to download the app on their iPhone/iPad from the Appstore.
- Download the app in Fire TV Stick as well.
- Follow the in-app instructions to setup.
Note: iTunes movies, Flash video, and DRM protected videos like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, DirecTV, Xfinity, HBO are now not supported.
Due to the limited nature of iOS, there are some caveats casting to Fire TV Stick. The app streams only the video part of a website and not the whole website content (No screen or tab mirroring). Sometimes it is necessary to play the video on the iPad or iPhone first before it gets discovered by the app for streaming.
It may also be necessary to start casting multiple times until it works with specific videos. If a video is not working at all, please check the FAQ on the app start page.
Also Read: Vudu Spark is yet another TV streaming stick to take on Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV Stick
Note that there are other paid apps that enable Casting from an iPhone/iPad to a Fire TV Stick. These apps claim to offer a more seamless watching experience. The user can choose them if they find them useful. Every app provides detailed guides on how to setup.